Sunday 29 September 2013

interviews are so under-rated: Kanye West and Zane Lowe


"If you're a Kanye West fan, you're not a fan of me. 
You're a fan of yourself. You will believe in yourself"

So BBC Radio 1 has recently finished releasing  4 parts of an one hour interview with Kanye West. The interviewer is a radio personality called Zane Lowe and may I say that he is the best interviewer I've ever seen? And a big bonus that he's from Auckland! He's unlike any interviewer. He doesn't shove two-dimensional questions in Kanye's face and it's like he's a friend or a therapist to Kanye, who is overly aggressive and so "in-your-face". I love the beginning of part 3 where Kanye sheds his ego for a moment to inspire us, his fans (or his haters) to be ambitious and he's the "espresso" to get us "going". I don't even drink coffee (I'm more of a green tea person) but I'll let Kanye be my caffeine boost. 

Zane also did an interview with Jay-Z a couple of months ago in the same set up of an one hour interview divided into four parts. It's so interesting to watch because Jay-Z and Kanye are so contrasting. Jay-Z is so humble and chill, which allows the interview to become an informative conversation rather than an interview. It seriously feels like two friends just talking to each other and when they laugh, you laugh with them. Heres part 1 of the interview:


I'm really impressed by how Zane handles these interviews with these massive stars. Seriously, how was he so calm and composed? And his appreciation and knowledge of music is so vast!  It's always great to see a Kiwi being successful outside of New Zealand.

- freak out

No comments:

Post a Comment