Monday 1 July 2013

under the influence of LDR



It's insanely difficult to find music like Lana Del Rey's or even anyone remotely similar to her. Trust me, I've tried searching because I want to find other music like hers just so my 'Top 25 Most Played' on my iTunes isn't all Lana Del Rey, (rather sad, really). However, when she made her breakthrough in 2011 with her flower crown and 'tumblr-esque' photos, I absolutely hated her. I researched her and I found out her father was a millionaire so I thought she obviously must have used connections to get to where she was and I was like "oh my gosh, who does she think she is?". Look at me now, I'm on the other side of the spectrum as she has totally grown me and 'turned this hater into a lover'. I even do a pretty good Lana impression that I showcase often.

I love how she is an artist. She has said "I just want to make my life a work of art" but I reckon she is a work of art, the "Lana Del Rey" masterpiece. She has carefully and thoughtfully created her image and persona that she portrays in her songs and the public eye. She is not just a musician but an artist because she not only focuses on her music but she considers other factors to create a whole "work of art". She is not overly-sexualized which allows girls to be able to relate to her and want to be her. Seriously, Lana is pure class. She has gone through a number of transformations to get to where she is now. She was not blessed with the name of Lana Del Rey but she was Elizabeth Grant, daughter of a millionaire (apparently). She roamed New York, living in a trailer park as Lizzy Grant tried to pursue her musical career by singing in bars and open mic nights. By the sounds of it, Lana has made her life a "work of art" as she has created and altered her life to live her fantasy. As much as I love Lana, I slightly disagree with her persona of a Lolita character with a desire for passion and love from a man even though she makes it sound romantic but I believe that it's important to be a woman that doesn't need love from someone else to feel worthy. Although Lana is a strong, independent woman in her own right.

If you think about it, Lana has influenced today's pop culture and trends. Lana is Queen of tumblr.There are countless references to Lana lyrics, music videos, and flower crowns (let me just add that flower crowns are "so last year") on the typical-teenage-tumblr community. You may say flower crowns are "Frida Kahlo" not Lana but Lana brought it back in style and made today's generation aware of Frida's flower crowns. Haven't you  noticed that people are really into 'old hollywood' these days? Well, Lana obviously started that trend. We all must know that famous photo of Lana leaning on a wall with her hair in vintage curls, wearing a white "Hollywood" T-shirt and a gold chain necklace has set off a wildfire of trends in 2011 and 2012, think about it. Before Lana, I don't think I've ever heard that kind of singing over the top of a hip hop production and now i've noticed that more and more singers are using heavy drums and hip hop beats in their music but then again I guess we are living in the "hip hop age". Its odd to think that she only started song writing when she was 18, i think her poetic skills definitely benefited her as she initially wanted to become a poet, she cites Walt Whitman as one of her favourites as she also has a song called "Body Electric" where she borrows a line from his poem "I sing the body electric".


Heres a look at the transition and development of Queen Lana:






I've watched so many videos of Lana being so kind to her fans as well. She is truly a respectable woman and carries herself with dignity and grace. As an aspiring musician, she shows me that art is not just my music but I, myself, am a work of art that delivers the message to others... ( I guess. I'm trying to think of something cool but I have no time because I really should be doing my school work)

I have to go now.

Laters, my pals!

- Freak 




1 comment:

  1. you're a really good writer. lana del rey is such a beautiful person, i love her so much, especially because she's not like other celebrities - her personal life is exactly that and you don't know too much about her life, so it's easier to focus on her work and just enjoy it. that element of mystery keeps me hooked. her image is so wonderful and i think she's really unique. it's lovely and refreshing that she's so different to everybody else.
    x

    ReplyDelete